Hydrology Project
HOME Hydrology Project ABOUT US Hydrology Project HIS Hydrology Project DSS Hydrology Project PDS Hydrology Project HDA Hydrology Project MANUALS Hydrology Project SPECIFICATIONS Hydrology Project REPORTS
Hydrology Project
Home Hydrology Project PDS Hydrology Project Ground Water PDS Hydrology Project GW-AP-2
 
Geo-ecological management in Tettuvanka Basin, Chittor District, Andhra Pradesh
Groundwater Department, Government of Andhra Pradesh
 
Objectives
 
As in many other parts of India the Chittor District has experienced marked falls in groundwater levels due to over-exploitation. The Tettuvanka basin is a typical example of this problem with hydrogeology, climate and farming practices representative of a larger region although because the catchment contains a progressive agricultural extension and education institution, it is not truly typical of the wider community. The PDS aimed to:
  1. A study of borehole and dug well number over time was undertaken.
  2. Pumping rests were undertaken to determine aquifer characteristics.
  3. Local farmers were training to monitor GW levels on a regular basis, partly to provide basic data for the study but also to enable farmers to identify early signs of overpumping.
  4. Regular meetings were held between local communities and the AP Groundwater Department to exchange knowledge and raise awareness amongst farmers of the problems of over-pumping.
 
Results and Recommendations
 
  1. Cropping patterns had changed over time so that in 1995 paddy rice covered 80% of the area with tomatoes being grown on the remaining 20%. By 2012 paddy cultivation was possible only on 10% of the area, tomato cultivation had grown to 70% and fodder was now grown on 20% of the area; caused largely by reduced groundwater availability.
  2. The participatory groundwater management scheme had been very successful. Reliance on high water-demand crops such as rice had decreased with expansion of dairy farming, giving farmers new sources of income.
  3. There should be increased use of participatory management programmes
 
Back    To view the full PDS Report click here